Monday, August 10, 2009

Nautilus


A nautilus is a cephalopod of the genus Nautilus, of Indo-Pacific waters, having a light coiled chambered shell with numerous septa, and numerous tentacles. (Oxford English Reference Dictionary)

This blog is called "nautilus" because it reflects my discovery of what it means to be alive as a human being in the spaces I occupy, at the times I occupied, occupy, or will occupy those spaces.

I live within a light coiled chambered shell.
My life is lived within numerous septa.
My life is a process of discovery through numerous tentacles.
Photos from Wikipedia "chambered nautilus"

4 comments:

  1. I am posting this for Andy who sent me this comment:

    My comment is: "It's interesting that Judy, whom I admire so much, would choose a nautilus for her icon. Living as she does on the edge of the prairie (in southern Alberta, about 45 minutes from the Rocky Mountains), she would seem to be a nautilus out of water. Or, is she referring to a fossilized version? In that case, does that make her a fossil? Whatever the case, I look forward to coming out of my shell and making new discoveries through her blog."
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting discussion. The nautalis shows an adaptability to changing conditions through a strong fundamental genetic design. While external environmental conditions change, the Nautalis has remained unchanged in it's own form for 500 million years. Evolution has not been needed here. Change only occurs when change is needed. Change therefore is not a constant perhaps as is generally accepted.

    The chambers of the nautalis represent the past and the present existing at once but the consciousness only existing in the present. The future is silent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The future, to me, is always silent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer that the future remain always silent. What if we knew the future, what would we do differently, and what would we miss by changing?
    I am not sure that I have explained the past, present and future of the symbolism yet, but I like your conclusion.

    ReplyDelete